Lyme disease and treatment Protocol
Chronic Lyme disease is a fast-spreading problem in US, especially in the northeastern part of the country, and even worldwide. Classic Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial spirochete called borrelia burgdorferi. Conventional belief claims that Lyme disease is conveyed through tick bites. More recent literature has shown that certain stinging flies, spiders and even some mosquitoes can infect humans with this spirochete (1).This means that the disease may be more widespread than previously anticipated. Lyme disease typically does not occur alone but together with a number of co-infections. Classic Lyme disease lowers white blood cell count and lessens host immunity. When the immune system becomes dysfunctional, patients are more likely to become infected with a multitude of secondary bacterial, fungal, mycoplasmal and viral infections. Another co-condition for the thriving of infectious organisms in the system is the presence of toxic metals and other environmental toxins.
Lyme disease symptoms and effects
Chronic Lyme disease affects the immune system by rendering it blind to the existence of Borrelia and other co- infections. Lyme can also affect the musculo-skeletal system with recurrent joint problems and fibromyalgia-type pain. A third presentation affects the central nervous system with a multitude of related symptoms including emotional changes, psychiatric problems and neurological problems, i.e. numbness, paralysis and strange abnormal sensations. The areas most commonly affected are the brain and face, including the teeth, jawbone, ears and sinuses. Neurotoxins,produced by the Lyme bacteria( usually peptides and other substances intended to alter the host’s immune system) make the host a comfortable environment for the proliferation of borrelia and co-infections.
The group suffering most is newborn babies and young children, who rarely are diagnosed correctly and therefore, are not treated appropriately. They often carry the labels ADHD, autistic spectrum disorder (ASD), seizure disorder and others. For more details, see Dr. Klinghard of the Academy for Healing Arts.
These microbes often invade tissues that had previously been injured: your chronic neck pain or sciatic may really be a Bb infection. The same may be true for your chronic TMJ problem, your adrenal fatigue, your thyroid dysfunction, your migraine headache, your GERD, your diabetic condition, celiac disease and many seemingly unrelated symptoms.
Another area of the body, the oral cavity, can also be affected by Lyme bacteria, producing systemic disease and chronic pain. Christopher Hussar, DO, DDS of Reno, Nevada, who has been treating Lyme disease for almost twenty years from the perspective of dentistry and medicine has discovered a connection between jaw bone infection and chronic Lyme disease. Chronic inflammation from this condition destabilizes cholesterol deposits in coronary arteries, chews up nerve cells in the brain of people with Alzheimer’s disease, causes neck and head pain and aggravates cavity formations, root canals, sinus infections, ischemic bone and necrotic bone, infected or dead teeth, tumors and reflex sympathetic dystrophy of the face. There are 700 different bacteria in cavities. It is important to ask patients about illnesses that begin a short time after dental work. Fluoride may lead to osteoporosis and low IQs when overdone. Patients can develop Bell’s palsy after a cleaning because of the toxins that are stirred up. When wisdow teeth come through the bone they contain bacteria that never go away. From a cardiovascular perspective, wisdom teeth are connected to the heart.
Lyme bacteria may causes heart problems commonly call tachycardia ,or sudden increase of rate of heartbeats to over one hundred per minute. The patients rush into the hospital because they think they are having a heart attack.
Lyme patients also sometimes develop osteoporosis because the Lyme bacteria feed on magnesium. Changes in the calcium and magnesium ratio may cause low bone density. Most Lyme patient have some degree of anemia because babesiosis (co –infection)also leech out iron from the blood. Also, Lyme disease and MS have the same symptoms. When you are diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, it would be a good idea to get tested for Lyme disease. Rheumatoid arthritis patient are always infected with Lyme bacteria.
Symptoms of Co-Infections in Lyme
Rapid onset of initial illness occurs, often with sudden onset of high fever, severe headaches, sweats and fatigue, thus making it easy to know when the infection began. Obvious sweats occur, usually at night, but can be day sweats as well. Air hunger, need to sigh and take a deep breath; dry cough without apparent reason. Headache can be severe-dull, global Fatigue is prominent, doesn’t clear with rest, and is made worse with exercise. Mental dullness-and slowing of reactions and responses. Dizziness-more like a tipsy feeling, and not vertigo or purely orthostasis. Symptoms cycle rapidly, with flares every four to six days. Hypercoaguable states are often associated with babesia infections. Rarely, splenomegaly.
Bartonella & “Bartonella-like Organisms”
Gradual onset of illness. If a patient has no or minimal joint complaints but has severely encephalopathy, then ,you think of bartonella/BLO. Obvious sign of CNS irritability can include muscle twitches, tremors, insomnia, seizure, agitation, anxiety, severe mood swings, outbursts and antisocial behavior. GI involvement may present as gastritis or abdominal pain Sore soles, especially in the morning. Tender sub-cutaneous nodules along the extremities especially on thigh, shins, and occasionally along triceps. Occasional lymphadenopathy. Morning fevers, usually around 99. Occasionally light sweats are noted. Elevated vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) occurs in a minority, but the degree of elevation correlates with activity of the infection and may be used to monitor treatment. Rapid response to treatment-often symptoms improve within days after antibiotics are begun. But relapses occur also within days if medication withdrawn early. May have popular or linear red rashes (like stretch marks that do not always follow skin planes). Especially in those with GI involvement.
Rapid onset of initial illness with fever, headache, prostration. Headaches are sharp, knife-like, and often behind the eyes. Muscle pain, not joint pain, can be mild or severe. Low WBC count, elevated liver enzymes, and (rarely) inclusions in the WBCs Rarely, will see diffuse vasculitic rash, including palms and soles (less than 10%) Rapid response to treatment.
DNA Viruses (HHV-6, EBV, CMV)
Persistent fatigue may develop, made worse with exercise. Sore throat, lymphadenopathy, and other viral-like complaints. May see elevated liver enzymes and low WBC counts. Autonomic dysfunction.
Chronic Lyme disease: Differential Diagnoses/Treatments
1. Lyme disease: cell wall, cystic, IC forms
2. Ehrlichiosis/ Anaplasmosis
3. Babesiosis/ piroplasmosis
5. Mycoplasma/ Chlamydial infections
6. Other TBD’s: RMSF, Typhus, Tularemia, Q-fever, Brucellosis
7. Viruses: EBV,CMV, HHV-6 & 8, HIV, hepatitis, W. Nile
8. Immune dysfunction
9. Systemic Candidiasis/ Leaky Gut/ GI abnormalities
10. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity/ Heavy Metal toxicity/ E.I. w/ Mold?
11. Food allergies
12. Parasitic infections
13. Neurotoxins/ Brain fog
14. Sleep disorder w/ excessive daytime somnolence
15. Reactive hypoglycemia
16. Psychiatric hx/ hx of drug use & addiction
17. Autonomic nervous system dysfunction.
18. Endocrine & Metabolic disorders
Most lab test very reliable. About 60% patients have false test. A lot good Physician does not use lab result. Only by clinic symptoms. Many state passed low allow doctor use antibiotic treat Lyme without positive antibody test. Beware Lyme test is negative did not mean you don’t have Lyme disease.
Treat infection and co-infections. Antibiotic treatment –see Advanced topics in Lyme disease By Dr. Joseph J Burrascano JR. M.D.
Samento This product has shown the most consistent action against Borrelia, bartonella, Ehrlichiosis, Rickettsia, mycoplasma and other co-infections. Herxheimer reactions are expected and may occur at any stage of the treatment. Try raw food diet. Moderate exercise, metal detoxification program. Drink more water.
Freeze Dried Garlic Garlic has been shown to protect the white and red cell from oxidative damage. It contain numerous suphur components, including the most valuable sulph- hydryl group, which oxidizes mercury, cadmium, and lead, making those metals water soluble and easy to excrete. It also has shown valid detoxification function and may protect against heart disease and cancer. Garlic has shown strong antimicrobial, antibacterial, and antiviral, anti-parasitic.
Ozonides from Natural Vegetable Oil
Physiologically compatible ozonides are long chained, oxygen-rich oils. They are water free and viscous and formed from natural fatty oils such as olive oil or caster oil and oxygen in the form of ozone.
Action of the constituents:
1. Ozonides transfer oxygen and change the environment in which anaerobic pathogenic Germs live, making it aerobic. This prevents anaerobic germs, such as Clostridia, from Reproducing. The oil is surface-active and, through its active substances, moistens the Intestinal mucous membrane where nests of fungi and bacteria and parasites may be located.
2. Wormwood is ideal for stimulating secretion by the digestive tract. It stimulates the appetite, remedies digestive disorders, acts against gastrospasms and flatulence. The amaroids Are extremely effective in promoting digestion, stimulating secretion and peristalsis in the Stomach and intestinal region. Anthelminthic, promotes circulation.
3. Clove are aromatic, stimulate the appetite, promote digestion, are a stimulant, expel Flatulence, are analgesic, antiseptic. The drug also has eupeptic properties and acts as a gastric Tonic. It is also an effective anthelminthic agent.
4. Walnut is bitter, promotes digestion, is cleansing, lowers the blood glucose level and blood Pressure, is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic.
5. Mint: antiseptic, stimulates the liver.
Heavy metal detoxication
1. Diet. It will be important to have a high protein diet, as the sulfur bearing amino acids in the protein will greatly facilitate detoxification. Whey protein can be used as a supplement as it is high in glutathione and branched chain amino acids. Avoid sugar, milk and grain.
2. Beneficial Bacteria Take one quarter to one half teaspoon once a day of a high potency high quality strain. It is vital to have an optimized bowel flora for detoxification. Patients with a Lyme disease yeast infection are advised to consume unsweetened (plain) yoghurt containing active cultures such as L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. casei, and Bifidibacteria infantis. Soy or dairy-free probiotic yoghurts are available for those who are lactose intolerant, vegan, or allergic to dairy. Taking a probiotic capsule is also advisable, both during Lyme disease treatment and for a number of weeks following treatment to ensure a healthy repopulation of the gut with resident bacteria. These probiotics are easily affected by heat and acidity and should not, therefore, be taken with hot drinks or with meals. Taking probiotics on an empty stomach will usually increase the opportunities for the bacteria to travel to the intestines which are where they are of most benefit. A product containing 4 to 10 bullion colony units (CFUs) should be considered a minimum when you treat Lyme
3. Maintain two to three bowel movements per day If you are not having this many bowel movements make certain that your thyroid status has been checked. It is very common for mercury to affect the thyroid. If your thyroid function is fine then you should add some magnesium. Freshly ground flax seed several teaspoons per day will facilitate intestinal movement and also contribute some healthy essential fatty acids.
4. Unload the connective tissue with Chlorella or ProChitosan Chlorella and ProChitosan are an important part of the detoxification program, as approximately 90% of the mercury in our bodies is eliminated through the stool. Chlorella is a Lyme and, unlike Protchitosan, has high levels of protein, chlorophyll and other nutrients which can be used for nourishment. The chlorella powder is the most cost effective approach but some people will prefer the tablets or capsules for convenience. A simple way to dissolve the powder is to place it in a container with a lid, partially filled with water. Then tighten the lid and shake it to dissolve and drink the solution… If you are unable to tolerate this, it would be wise to consider adding an enzyme with cellulase in it to help digest the chlorella. Porphrazyme from Biotics Research is another alternative to chlorella that many clinicians have used successfully in mercury detoxification.
5. Start Garlic or MSM and Cilantro It would be wise to start on garlic regularly to enhance sulfur stores. Use the food, rather than the supplement garlic. Try to get in three cloves per day, but decrease the dose if your odor becomes socially offensive. MSM is a form of sulfur which will help your body to remove the mercury. The initial dose is one capsule twice a day. Increase by one capsule a day until you are at three capsules twice a day. If you have root canals and are chronically sick you may want to increase to five capsules three times a day. Cilantro will help mobilize mercury out of the tissue so the DMPS can attach to it and allow it to be excreted from the body.
6. Mineral Replacement It is important to have a generally healthy mineral base. The body works better with toxic metals than no metals at all. Enzymes have certain binding sites that require a metal for them to perform their function as a catalyst. When you are deficient in magnesium, sodium, zinc and other minerals, the body does not let go of the toxic metals very easily. Selenium and zinc are particularly important trace minerals in mercury detoxification and should be used for most people.
7. Hydrochloric Acid: If you do not have a sufficient amount of hydrochloric acid secreted by your stomach, then it will be very difficult to ionize mineral supplements to absorb them properly. There is a hydrochloric acid reflex present on the lowest rib approximately one inch lateral to the midline. If this area on the rib is tender to palpation there is a strong likelihood the person is deficient in hydrochloric acid and would benefit from supplementation.
8. Digestion and Gall Bladder Support for Autism Liver and gallbladder congestion are major issues in states of toxicity. To insure that your gallbladder bile flow is functional, add magnesium taurate or taurine, butyric acid (Butryex 559-433-3110), and Digestive enzymes. Your ability to clear toxins will be impaired if you do not have proper fats to support digestive function. Your diet should contain adequate fat from unprocessed pure oils, Omega Nutrition, Flora or Arrowhead Mills. Seeds, nuts and avocados.
9. Antioxidants Vitamin C and E. It would be wise to take unique vitamin E 400, one capsule per day and about 250-500 mg of vitamin C with each meal. If you are exercising aggressively you can take 1000 mg of C 15-30 minutes prior to exercising. It is also wise to consider adding 2-4,000 mg of Vitamin C powder to a half gallon of water and drinking that throughout the day.
Lyme disease and Chinese medicine
1.Lyme Pattern and Chinese medicine
People with Lyme diseases present a complex syndrome picture. They often have signs of Qi stagnation. There can be signs of heart Qi and Blood deficiency. The insufficiency of Heart Yin can allow Heart Yang to rise and disturb the Shen. The person can have heart palpitations, irritability, severe insomnia, and anxiety or panic attacks. The person can also suffer from suicidal thoughts due to disruptions with brain functioning.Another component of the pattern these conditions present is blood stagnation. The pain that people with these diseases can experience can be tender, intense, and shooting. They can experience tingling and numbness due to obstructions of Qi and Blood. The pain often does not respond well or at all to conventional prescription pain medications. As a result people with Fibromyalgia, CFS, and Lyme Disease can become painful condition. The next component of these conditions can include Wind, Cold, and Dampness. The person experiences exquisite sensitivity to changes in weather patterns. Their body temperature can be generally low. They can have cold extremities.The next component is a pattern of Qi, Blood, Yin, and Yang deficiency. People can feel utterly exhausted, depleted, and fatigued while having mild to severe digestive problems. They can break out into cold sweats for no reason. They can have poor memory, inability to concentrate, and changes in vision. They can have night sweats and debilitating insomnia. They can experience dull achy chronic pain as well as severe and intense pain. Often, people have lack of libido, infertility, low back pain, weak knees, and other signs of kidney deficiency. People’s tendons can become loose or weak, and they can suffer from bone dislocations more easily. The fatigue and sleep irregularities that people experience can also be similar to a severe version of jetlag.
2. TCM treatment protocol
There are a number of different approaches that TCM practitioners can take to help improve quality of life for their patients.The first step is moving Qi and Blood, and warming the channels. Promoting circulation and removing blockages can help the person’s body fight their illness more effectively.Moxibustion and infrared heat therapy are very helpful for people with these conditions. Acupuncture is very helpful to relieved pain. Utilizing herbs that move Qi and Blood such as San Qi, Mo Yao, Ru Xiang, Chuan Xiong, Dan Shen, Tao Ren, and Hong Hua, can all be useful for these conditions. Warming herbs such as Gui Zhi. Rou Gui, Xi Xin, Fu Zi, Gan Jiang, and Sheng Jiang can also be helpful. Care must be taken to combine these herbs with tonifying herbs so as not to deplete the patient further. It is important to tonify Qi, Yang, and Blood in people Lyme Disease. Herbs such as Ci Wu Jia, Dang Shen, Huang Qi, and Bai Zhu can be used to tonify Qi. Herbs such as Dang Gui, Gou Qi Zi, Suan Zao Ren, and Bai Shao Yao can tonify blood. Herbs such as Du Zhong, Rou Cong Rong, Dong Chong Xia Cao, and other Kidney tonifying herbs can be used to boost the person’s Yang energy. One herb, Xu Duan, seems to be particularly helpful for these conditions.